Laser Hair Removal Melbourne
- What is variable pulsed light laser hair removal?
- What happens during IPL, VPL laser hair removal treatment?
- Are there any contraindications for IPL, VPL or laser hair removal treatment?
- How many VPL laser hair removal treatments are recommended?
- What should I do before and after IPL, VPL laser hair removal treatment?
- Are there any side effects for IPL, VPL or laser hair removal treatment?
Everyone wants silky, smooth skin, but waxing and shaving are messy and are only short-term measures, so to keep your skin looking great all the time you need a hair removal treatment that gives permanent results. At Medix Laser and Aesthetic Clinic in Melbourne, our state of the art variable pulsed light (UltraPlus VPL™) laser hair removal process permanently removes unwanted hair from almost any part of male and female body. Suitable for both men and women, VPL™ laser hair removal is a safe and highly effective hair removal method.
What is variable pulsed light laser hair removal?
The UltraPlus VPL™ is the most advanced medical grade professional skin treatment and laser hair removal system in Melbourne available today for both, Male and Female. Unlike older laser hair removal treatments like IPL, which use Intense Pulsed light, treatments with variable pulsed light are far less painful. Variable pulsed light lasers uses different colours (wavelengths) of light to selectively heat the hair through light absorption. This heat is transferred by conduction to nearby cells, and the temperature rise will cause the surrounding cells to die. Destroying the cells prevents the follicle from producing further hair growth, removing the hair-growing potential of the follicle.
Best Laser Hair Removal Melbourne: Introducing the VPL Laser Hair Removal Treatment
What happens during IPL, VPL laser hair removal treatment?
Firstly, the hair in the area to be treated is shaved and a cool gel is applied to the treatment area to ensure the required optical coupling, and also to cool the skin being treated. Then the UltraPlus laser hair removal hand piece is placed on the skin and is passed over the treatment area using little pressure. The device emits high intensity flashes of light of many different wavelengths. The light will strongly be absorbed by melanin in the hair follicle and is transformed to heat, which destroys the ability of the hair to regrow – all without damaging the surrounding skin or blood vessels. The treatment may last from several minutes to several hours, depending on the area of the body being treated.
During the following ten to fourteen days, the hair will appear to continue growing, although more slowly than before. What is actually happening is that the hair is no longer supported by the follicle, but is being slowly pushed out. If left alone, the treated hairs will fall out naturally after a period of one to three weeks, dependent on the depth of the hair root. You can encourage the hair detachment by exfoliating the treated area after a week.
How many VPL laser hair removal treatments are recommended?
Hair follicles must be treated in their active (anagen) growth cycle in order to be affected by the laser light. Since hair follicles are usually in different growth cycles at any given time, several treatments spread over several months are required to ensure the destruction of all hair follicles. The general recommendation is 8-10 treatments, although some people may require more treatments than this. Depending on the treatment area the sessions are spaced between 4 weeks (Face) to 3 months (Legs) apart.
Optimum results are obtained when the hair colour is significantly darker than the skin, so people with light skin and dark hair will see the best results in the fewest number of treatments. Darker skins require more treatment sessions because the light targets melanin in the tissue and darker skins have more melanin. Light hair is more difficult to remove. There is currently no technology using light that will reliably remove gray or blonde hair because they don’t have melanin, but we can remove red and light brown hair effectively – it just takes a little longer. The response to treatment varies from person to person and depends on many factors such as hair growth cycle, your hair colour and skin type, so multiple treatment sessions are necessary to obtain the best effects.
At Medix Skincare & Laser Clinic, Melbourne we offer the best hair removal treatment for male and female in minimum cost and optimum result.
Are there any contraindications for IPL, VPL or laser hair removal treatment?
Even though the VPL laser hair reduction is safe and non-invasive, there are a few conditions under which the treatment should not be used, such as:
- Taking accutane or similar medication
- Taking blood thinning medication
- Heart pacemaker
- Pregnancy or breast feeding in the first few months
- Any injectable or fillers in the last 72 hours
- Cold sore or fever blister without premedication
- Facial peels or waxing within 7 to 14 days
- Active acne
- Type I diabetic
- Recent sun exposure or spray tan or solarium
- Skin cancer
- Photosensitising drugs
- History of light-sensitive rashes
- Lack of skin temperature
What should I do before and after IPL, VPL laser hair removal treatment?
Before the treatment:
- Avoid direct sun exposure, spray tanning or sun beds for 6 weeks before treatment, as this makes the hair removal process more difficult (tanning is related to melanin).
- Avoid waxing or any kind of hair removal, which removes the hair from the root. We need the hair to still be in the root at the beginning of the process so that we can destroy the follicle.
- Avoid peeling or any kind of skin resurfacing treatments for 6 weeks before your treatment.
After the treatment:
- Avoid direct sun exposure, spray tanning or sun beds for 6 weeks after the treatment. High SPF sunscreen should be applied in case of sun exposure.
- Don’t do heavy or sweaty work-outs within 24 hours.
- Don’t use make-up or perfumed soaps for 24 hours following treatment.
- Don’t use sauna, steam room, public swimming pools, or hot bath or shower for 24 hours. Treated areas should be cared for by gentle washing with soap and water without scrubbing or rubbing.
- Avoid wearing tight clothing over the treated area, including boots and tights.
- Don’t scratch the treated area as this could cause scars.
- Don’t wax or pluck hairs in between the treatments.
Are there any side effects for IPL, VPL or laser hair removal treatment?
Due to heating of the hair follicles, there may be some redness or swelling that may last as long as 24 hours. This is normal. If you have darker or tanned skin, you may experience pigment changes such as lightening or darkening of the skin, which may last a few weeks. To relieve any swelling or burning sensation, a cool compress can be applied or a cooling gel such as aloe vera, tea tree or witch hazel.