Laser Hair Removal Melbourne
Everyone wants silky, smooth skin, but waxing and shaving can be messy and are only short-term measures. To keep your skin looking great all the time, you’ll need a hair removal treatment that provides more long-lasting results. At Medix Skincare & Laser Clinic, we use our state-of-the-art variable pulsed light (UltraPlus VPL™) laser hair removal process to remove unwanted hair from almost any part of the body. Suitable for both men and women, VPL™ laser hair removal is a safe and highly effective method for laser hair removal in Melbourne.
What is Variable Pulsed Light Laser Hair Removal?
The UltraPlus VPL™ is the most advanced medical grade professional skin treatment and laser hair removal system in Melbourne available today for both males and females. Unlike older laser hair removal treatments like IPL, which uses intense pulsed light, treatments with variable pulsed light are far less painful. Variable pulsed light laser uses different colours (wavelengths) of light to selectively heat the hair through light absorption. This heat is transferred by conduction to nearby cells, with the temperature rise causing the surrounding cells to die. Destroying the cells prevents the follicle from producing further hair growth, removing the hair-growing potential of the follicle.
What Happens During VPL Laser Hair Removal Treatment?
Firstly, the hair in the area to be treated by laser hair removal in Melbourne is shaved and a cool gel is applied to the area to ensure the required optical coupling, and also to cool the skin being treated. Next, the laser hair removal hand piece is placed on the skin and is passed over the treatment area using little pressure. The device emits high-intensity flashes of light of many different wavelengths. This light will be absorbed by melanin in the hair follicle and is transformed to heat, which destroys the ability of the hair to regrow – all without damaging the surrounding skin or blood vessels. The treatment may last from several minutes to several hours depending on the area of the body being treated.
Best Laser Hair Removal Melbourne: Introducing the VPL Laser Hair Removal Treatment
During the following ten to fourteen days, the hair will appear to continue growing, although more slowly than before. What is actually happening is that the hair is no longer supported by the follicle, but is being slowly pushed out. If left alone, the treated hairs will fall out naturally after a period of one to three weeks, dependent on the depth of the hair root. You can encourage the hair detachment by exfoliating the treated area after a week.
How Many VPL Laser Hair Removal Treatments Are Recommended?
Hair follicles must be treated in their active (anagen) growth cycle in order to be affected by the laser light. Since hair follicles are usually in different growth cycles at any given time, multiple sessions of laser hair removal in Melbourne spread over several months are required to ensure the destruction of all hair follicles. The general recommendation is 8 to 10 treatments, although some people may require more treatments than this. Depending on the treatment area, the sessions are spaced between 4 weeks (face) to 3 months (legs) apart.
Optimum results are obtained when the hair colour is significantly darker than the skin, so people with light skin and dark hair will see the best results in the fewest number of treatments. Darker skins require more treatment sessions because the light targets melanin in the tissue and darker skins have more melanin.
Light hair is also more difficult to remove. There is currently no technology using light that will reliably remove gray or blonde hair because they don’t have melanin, but we can remove red and light brown hair effectively – it just takes a little longer. The response to treatment varies from person to person and depends on many factors such as hair growth cycle, your hair colour and skin type, so multiple treatment sessions are necessary to obtain the best effects.
Are There Any Contraindications for Laser Hair Removal in Melbourne?
Even though VPL laser hair reduction is safe and non-invasive, there are a few conditions under which the treatment should not be used, such as:
- Taking Accutane or similar medication
- Taking blood thinning medication
- Heart pacemaker
- Pregnancy or breast feeding in the first few months
- Any injectable or fillers in the last 72 hours
- Cold sore or fever blister without premedication
- Facial peels or waxing within 7 to 14 days
- Active acne
- Type I diabetic
- Recent sun exposure or spray tan or solarium
- Skin cancer
- Photosensitising drugs
- History of light-sensitive rashes
- Lack of skin temperature
What Should I Do Before and After VPL Laser Hair Removal Treatment?
Before the Treatment:
- Avoid direct sun exposure, spray tanning or sun beds for 6 weeks before your appointment for laser hair removal in Melbourne, as this makes the hair removal process more difficult (tanning is related to melanin).
- Avoid waxing or any kind of hair removal that removes the hair from the root. We need the hair to still be in the root at the beginning of the process so that we can destroy the follicle.
- Avoid peeling or any kind of skin resurfacing treatments for 6 weeks before your treatment.
After the Treatment:
- Avoid direct sun exposure, spray tanning or sun beds for 6 weeks after the treatment. High SPF sunscreen should be applied in case of sun exposure.
- Don’t do heavy or sweaty work-outs within 24 hours of laser skin removal in Melbourne.
- Don’t use make-up or perfumed soaps for 24 hours following treatment.
- Don’t use saunas, steam rooms, public swimming pools, or hot baths or showers for 24 hours. Treated areas should be cared for by gentle washing with soap and water without scrubbing or rubbing.
- Avoid wearing tight clothing over the treated area, including boots and tights.
- Don’t scratch the treated area, as this could cause scars.
- Don’t wax or pluck hairs in between the treatments.
Are There Any Side Effects of Laser Hair Removal Treatment?
Due to heating of the hair follicles, there may be some redness or swelling that may last as long as 24 hours. This is normal. If you have darker or tanned skin, you may experience pigment changes such as lightening or darkening of the skin, which may last a few weeks. To relieve any swelling or burning sensation, a cool compress can be applied. A cooling gel such as aloe vera, tea tree or witch hazel may also be helpful.
Book an Appointment Today
To learn more about our laser hair removal in Melbourne, contact Medix Skincare & Laser Clinic today on (03) 9686 0003. Our experienced staff are happy to consult with you to answer any questions you may have and determine your suitability.